Friday, March 14, 2014

First one up!

So I've considered doing a "food" blog for a while now. I'm personally not much of a recipe follower but I do make my meals off of ideas, so maybe that will help inspire you, or you can just follow exactly what I do. ;)   I typically do my grocery shopping on Sunday. I sit down with my white board, paper and Pinterest and plan! I try and find 10-12 meals and usually that lasts us for 2 weeks (leftovers are great in this house!). After I shop I try and write what days I plan on cooking what meals. That can always change though depending on how my produce is holding up, if I forgot to thaw something out, ect.  I try REALLY hard to make healthy choices for all my meals and I think I do a decent job but sometimes I take the shortcut, bad for you way. Now that the intro to how it works around here is done, I can give you a brief idea of what we had for dinner tonight. Also I will leave my plan for the rest of this week and next. :)

Tonight I made some awesome Southwest Spaghetti Squash Boats! (recipe below) It was seriously the easiest thing to make! I decided to microwave the squash since I was pressed for time, which took about 10 minutes. Don't forget to poke holes in it, or it will explode! While that was cooking, I cut up a couple green peppers and threw them in a pan with the sauce, corn and black beans. Then I added some cumin and red pepper flakes for a little zing! By the time that was done so was my squash! Easy! I told you! 

Not the cutest picture!
Southwest Spaghetti Squash Boats

Prep and cook time: 20 minutes

1 smaller sized spaghetti squash
2 green peppers
1/2 bag of frozen corn (or canned whatever you prefer)
1 can of black beans
1 jar of organic (or not) spaghetti sauce
1 tsp of cumin
Red pepper flakes if desired
Fresh mozzarella for the top

Cook spaghetti squash. Mix green peppers, corn, beans, cumin, red pepper flakes and sauce in a pan until hot. After squash is cooked, shred out the "noodles" and combine with the sauce mixture. Add the mixture back to the empty squash shells. Top with some fresh mozzarella and you're done! Hey, did you realize there's no meat in that boat? Neither did my carnivore husband... So filling!




So my schedule!

Friday: Pulled Pork over Coleslaw
Saturday: Tuna & Spinach Casserole
Sunday: Leftovers
Monday: Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Tuesday: Buffalo Pork Chops with Green Beans
Wednesday: Chicken Nuggets with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce and Carrot Fries
Thursday: (Made ahead) Frozen Lasagna
Friday: Leftovers
Saturday: Sweet Potato Pasta with a Cheesy Tomato and Sausage Sauce



No comments:

Post a Comment