Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Breadless Chicken Nuggets and Carrot Fries

       Prepare for a whirlwind of confusion when you start reading about tonight's dinner! Okay, it's not that confusing. Guys, just because we put breading on something and fry it up, does not mean that's the only way for it to be a finger food. So can't a girl make some awesome chicken nuggets, without the extra stuff, and still eat it with her hands? Well...I did. Now the cycle of confusion continues...    I. Made. Carrot. Fries. I'm not a carrot fan, unless I cook them in a brown sugar glaze of course! I did it though! I cut up big carrots, put them in the oven disguised as fries and I loved them! I made some honey mustard sauce(equal parts honey and Dijon mustard) for the chicken and I started to wonder what I should dip the fries in.... Duh! Obviously ranch dressing(organic). Hello!! Where has this been all my life!?!

       Back to the chicken. How does it get so much flavor without the yummy breading? Two words, people. Bacon. Grease. There, I said it, but before you close this page let me explain myself. Bacon is a good food, in moderation like everything else. If you buy it local and/or organic, you don't have all the nasty chemicals in it as you would get on the shelf. After I make bacon I put the grease in a mason jar and use it as an oil substitute in my cooking. Don't believe me? Check this out: http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/2013/06/14/oh-for-the-love-of-fats-and-bacon-grease/

Now that we've got that covered, here's our dinner! :)



Breadless Chicken Nuggets and Carrot Fries

30 min cook time

I'd suggest cutting up the chicken and carrots before hand but it isn't a long process if you're not able to!

6 Carrots, peeled or scrubbed well
2lbs of chicken (2 or 3 breasts)
Bacon grease or oil of choice
EVOO
Chili powder

Cut carrots into carrot sticks/fries. Drizzle in EVOO and season with chili powder.





 Place in 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until crispy. While carrots are baking cut chicken up into "nugget" size pieces. Add bacon grease and a teaspoon of chili powder to a skillet over medium heat. Add nuggets. Cook nuggets until golden on the outside and cooked in the middle. If you let the nuggets sit for a minute it will absorb the juices in the pan and glaze the nuggets.

I made a honey mustard sauce for the nuggets (equal parts honey and Dijon mustard) and I had some organic ranch dressing to dip the carrot fries in.




No comments:

Post a Comment